Thursday, April 9, 2009

Past does not determine future

I posted my finalized resume yesterday on Monster and Career Builder. In the past 30 hours I have received approximately 8 offers to sell insurance.... ugh. Should I title my resume "I do not want to sell insurance" or is that too forward? Here are two examples of the emails that are flooding my inbox:
1. "I am ____ for ______ Insurance Group looking f
or a successful, business-minded individual with a strong desire for personal growth, career fulfillment, and financial success. Based on my initial review of your resume, I believe you may be an excellent fit for our Career Opportunity in sales with ______ Insurance and Financial Services. We are currently developing new agencies in Houston and surrounding areas"
2. "We are conducting interviews in our Houston Regional Office this week and would like to schedule an interview with you on Friday, April 10th, at 9:30AM. The purpose of this meeting will be to discuss the specific details of the position including compensation."

I have this dilemma. My first job, my starter career, the job I am no longer at... is NOT what I want to be doing. It was a learning job; I gained invaluable knowledge about myself and my strengths and realized I need to go in a different direction to be satisfied and fulfilled. When you graduate from college and are not holding an Engineering/I.T. degree, headed to law school, medical school or straight to get your masters - you are ecstatic about getting a job! You don't know if it's what your made to do or how long it will last but you are enthused and ready to start contributing to society. You simply wake up in the morning, put on your business attire, stop by Starbucks, go to work and do the best you can until that 5 o'clock whistle blows. (At least that's what I did) I am a true believer in utilizing your God given talents to the fullest; So how do I post a resume asking people to give me a chance in a career I don't have any "hands on" experience with but know, with out a doubt, I would thrive in? This is a question I will continue to ask myself, but regardless of the answer I am extremely hopeful and faithful that the right job will come my way. It's just a matter of when.

Finding a new career is like finding a new boyfriend/girlfriend, you don't want your past to dictate your future. But sometimes that is hard to disregard...there lies my hurdle.

Hire me,
Aubrey

1 comment:

  1. Beware the ides of AFLAC! They have a very slick sales pitch and make it sound like you'll be independently wealthy working 3 hours a week in your first 6 months. They neglect to tell you that there is an "upfront investment" required of you and many would-be representaives never even make their investment back.

    Unfortunately, your past always dictates your future. It is your foundation (in business, faith or relationships) that you must grow FROM. That doesn't mean you're locked into a cycle that forces you to repeat the same mistakes over-and-over again, but... you made every decision based on the information you had and the quality of your character. Given similar circumstances and information, how many decisions would you go back and change?

    I have found in my own varied and sorted career(s), that in order to break-out and make real change in my direction I had to make drastic changes in my life. I had to change my environment (which is usually one of the bases for peoples "comfort zones", especially the employment-challenged), including where I lived, the places I visited (ate, shopped, etc.) and most importantly, the people I hung out with. Hanging out with a group of rouge electrical engineers was not getting me the job I coveted in software engineering.

    You know what they say about insanity. the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing and expecting different results. :-) Here for you, chiquita!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete