Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Meaning

Well... I caved. Hello All! ("All" being a small group of friends I can count on one hand)

The reason this blog is called 'The Houston Hunt' is because it's purpose is to serve as a form of entertainment for myself and of information for others. I recently resigned from my job and am on the 'hunt' so to speak for my next career move. While having a lot of free time to revise my resume, meet up with friends, travel a bit, eaves drop on people's conversations that I hear in coffee shops... I find my self discovering great Houston coffee shops, restaurants, stores, etc. Why not share the great antics I encounter as well as the hidden Houston hotspots... or maybe some are lukewarm but still worthy of posting.

I will begin with my top 6 of the month of March. Why 6 you may ask? It's my lucky number and it's one more than 5...so why not?:

1. Best Sushi Restaurant: Rickshaw's
-on Westheimer inside the Loop.
Excellent sushi (presentation and taste), Pineapple Mohito's and happy hour. Valet parking is free and the atmosphere is trendy and inviting.

2. Best Coffee Shop: Coffee Groundz (this is everchanging for me...and if I stay true to my roots, Starbucks will never be posted behind this humbling title)
-Midtown location off of Brazos and McGowen.
Electrical outlet's everywhere, killer Carmella Creme Latte with soy milk, Gelato, food aaaaaaand Alcohol. So on day's when the job search is going rough, it's not uncommon to find a kaluha and coffee in hand.

3. Best Mexican Food: El Patio
- on Westheimer close to the Voss intersection.
Fabulous cheese enchiladas. For 8 bucks you can enjoy the most flavorful grease and cheese combination imaginable. I crave these things at least once a day. Plus the blue margaritas are a hit seeing as how they are made with Everclear... too strong for my taste buds but I'm a baby.

4. Best Wine Bar: The Tasting Room
-Uptown park on Post Oak
Kinda pricey but they serve excellent wine and have tons of patio tables, so after a tough day's work it doesn't matter if you spend $10 on a great glass just to sit and enjoy the spring breeze. Great place for networking as well. Ton's of working Houstonites, influential and not, gather there to unwind. You never know who you might run into.

5. Best Brunch: Rio Ranch
- on Westheimer in between Gessner and the Beltway.
It's a buffet style, which normally leads me straight to thoughts of Golden Corral or bad Chinese food, but alas it is quite the opposite. Made-to-order omelettes, homemade whip cream and fresh fruit, pastries, killer french toast, every pork breakfast item known to man, etc. Go hungry, leave stuffed.

6. Best Ice Cream: Amy's Ice Cream
-Off Shepard and 59
Creative flavors and excellent mix ins. After they mix it for you, they turn the cup of ice cream upside down (actually they do some type of bar tending throw) and if the ice cream falls out they make you a new one for free. Granted, this has only happened once but still it was a nice treat. With unique flavors like Mexican Vanilla, Guinness and Belgian Chocolate... you will never get tired of experimenting.

Well I hope you enjoyed my first post and more than anything I hope you will try out some of the Houston Hotspots- those according to me that is.

Looking forward to the beginning of a beautiful blogging relationship.
-Aubrey

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips, Aubrey. I've never tried any of those places except Amy's ice cream when I lived in Austin. I didn't even know they had grown to Houston. Do they still have "hepatitis" flavored or is my snob showing?

    ReplyDelete