Tuesday, April 21, 2009

First Rough Day

Yesterday was a rough day. In fact it was my first rough day in my hunt for career. I had applied to this job posted for Sysco, there were only four jobs listed in Houston and one was just made for me. (At least that's what I thought). It was titled 'National Account Manager- Forums Purchasing' and it's only requirement was one year of health care sales/customer service experience. I have one year of sales/customer service experience as an Account Manger, majority of my clients were oil & gas/energy companies but I did have the pleasure of working with Health care customers as well. The description that was listed was basically describing my previous work minus the negative aspects and plus a few positive ones. Needless to say I was ecstatic- I uploaded my resume, wrote a passionate cover letter and clicked 'submit'. One week later I get this:

Thank you for your interest in the National Account Manager - Forum Purchasing position here at Sysco.

We have reviewed your resume and have decided to pursue other candidates. New positions are posted daily and we encourage you to review the Sysco career site and apply for other open positions. We appreciate your continued interest in Sysco and wish you the best of success in your career search.

Thank you.


Ugh. I literally felt like crying. I had failed, without even having the chance to succeed. Did they even read my resume? Did they even read my cover letter? The cover letter that took me and hour to perfect. Or did they do a random word search test by using some glitch-filled computer program?...my money is on the latter. Begin tangent:

One day, one day when I am the leader of some amazing organization/company/corporation- I will remember that you cannot tell a person's worth based on their resume. Who decided this, who even invented resumes? I will remember to maintain my character/integrity and I will remember to always be the example of the type of employee I want to hire. End tangent:

Rejection is a hard pill to swallow. I didn't post yesterday as all this was unveiling because the above tangent would've extended three pages. And also, more importantly, because I needed a day to make sense of that email. My naivety had the best of me- This isn't going to happen overnight, though I want it to so badly. --> I'm losing my spirit- something I've always held on to with great conviction. I miss getting up in the morning, putting on my business attire, drinking coffee, and having an immediate purpose. I miss that so much it's beginning to hurt. I want to be apart of something, something business, where I am aiding in the success. Where I am an integral part of the team with goals. Yesterday was the first day where these feelings kicked in with a vengeance.

I still have my faith that the right career is out there for me and I'm still very positive that I will find it. Yesterday I misplaced it. I misplaced it somewhere between job application #713, getting a pedicure that failed to cheer me up and seeing the Oprah show for the 15th day in a row... sigh. I found it again, the spirit is still with me. I have to be careful not to lose it again... no matter how many "Thank you for your interest" emails I may receive.

Hire me Houston,
Aubrey

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that, but really, they just rejected a piece of paper. You have not been rejected. The real test comes when you go in for 4 interviews over the course of a few weeks. Send out two more resumes for each email like that. You will be hating Monday before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with JMO. Sometimes (me being a hiring manager and well aware of this), a manager already has he perfect candidate in mind and that person may already work at their company. Due to federal, state or local requirements that manager is forced to post a position to illicit resumes that he/she will never review. They get listed on EEOC forms as "a better candidate was found". That doesn't mean that the other potential candidates failed, they were just the paperwork that must be compelted after the real work is done.

    Unfortunately, that doesn't make it any less painful. I know, I've been there.

    ReplyDelete