Monday, April 6, 2009

fresh tan, fresh outlook


Brad and I went to Cancun for 3 days. I know you are all thinking two things: 1. Who is Brad? (A: the boyfriend) and 2: This has nothing to do with finding your next career Aubrey. (A: Oh, but it does) We spent 3 glorious days by the beach/pool enjoying the breeze of the Caribbean. We even got a massage on the beach! I am a firm believer in the power of massages and let me tell you; nothing demands your mind to release it's stress like the crystal, blue ocean and a woman named 'Lety' forcing your muscles to relax with coconut oil. By removing oneself from the constant pressure and overwhelming thoughts of "job, job, job, must get a job"- one returns refreshed and ready to conquer any dilemma head on. I guess I should clarify, I do not view my current unemployed status as a 'dilemma' but rather a challenge and a blessing all rolled into one. A blessing that I'm grateful for, a blessing that removed me from a job where I wasn't growing or utilizing my strengths to the fullest. A challenge I not only want to conquer but dominate. I don't just want a job, I want a lifestyle in which I can thrive.

We stayed at The Gran Caribe Real which was all-inclusive resort- endless food, drink, and Speedo sightings all rolled into one price. During the Mexican Show on Saturday night, Brad and I encountered a very interesting couple. I was busy watching the cultural dancing, lasso rope demonstration and ah yes, the cock fight. No, No I'm not joking. They actually brought two roosters on stage and we watching this bizarre, yet hypnotizing, custom. While I was wide-eyed watching the roosters go at it, the man from the couple was extremely chatty with Brad about his job. And while his incessant talking was certainly annoying to the table and myself (Brad, patiently listening with a smile, much better person than I) his words were passionate. He spoke about his job with such pride you would think it was his child. He happened to be a Software Purchasing Contract Negotiator... Obviously not what his business card says but that was how he described it. Now while everyone knows I'm not programmer and I can't walk the walk when it comes to I.T., I can for the most part talk the talk so listening to his lingo wasn't at all confusing. Plus, it wasn't the context I was interested in rather the emotion behind the words which is easy to pick up if you are truly listening. He was from Calgary and had done this job for most his life (him being in his mid 60's now). He was the expert in his field, he talked like the Doctor who just discovered the cure for AIDS- no one could touch him. And then, amongst the cock fight, pina coladas and the never ending run-ons from this man's mouth- I.was.envious.

He was proud of what he did for a living and he made it his art, his masterpiece. He actually said "I love what I do". A limited amount of people can utter those words as the truth. I want that, I don't want just any job, but I want a job where I will wake up each morning and be excited to see what I accomplish and who I can help that day. I know this may sound a bit 'after school special' but I don't mind; I'm refreshed and ready to conquer what is "The Job Search".


With a fresh tan and with a fresh outlook on my challenge...
Hire me,
Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment